A Third Party Event is an event, activity or promotion that raises funds to benefit the Puget Sound Affiliate of Susan G. Komen and is produced independent from the Affiliate by a private or public individual, organization or business. A third party event promotes fundraising and breast cancer education and awareness through events or activities in alignment with Susan G. Komen branding.
Third party event planners are responsible for ALL aspects of an event including:
- Legal liability and insurance
- Financial liability
There are several rules and guidelines that Third Party Events MUST follow in order to comply with IRS regulations.
Komen Puget Sound CAN passively promote an event by:
- Including an event on the online calendar of events on the Komen website, as schedule allows
- Providing resources for a breast health table at the event, and staffing the table, as schedule allows
- Serving as a guest speaker or emcee for the event, as schedule allows
- Providing a representative at the event for a check presentation, as schedule allows
- Accepting and acknowledging individual donations made directly to the Affiliate (donation checks written directly to the Affiliate which are separate from event fees)
Komen Puget Sound CANNOT actively promote an event by:
- Mailing invitations to Komen Puget Sound constituents or allowing Third Party to use Komen Puget Sound mailing lists
- Soliciting sponsorships or donations for an event
- Endorsing an event, organizers or product
- Allowing the Third Party to use its tax ID number (EIN)
- Paying any event expenses or reimbursing a Third Party for an event expense
- Providing insurance for an event
- Allowing event fees or sponsorships to be paid directly to Komen
- Allowing any other activity that implies payments are tax-deductible to the participant
- Issuing acknowledgement letters to anyone other than the 3rd Party, unless the donation is made directly to the Affiliate and is separate from the event participation fee. The Affiliate cannot acknowledge event fees or sponsorships, since these are paid directly to the 3rd Party
Please contact Tina Burns at Tina@pskomen.org 206-633-0303 ext. 115 with questions.